Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The List - Its Long

 "I am afraid that my new fella is going to be so very disappointed with me. He wants to get his sail freak on, but I'm just not ready for that yet,,," - Corleto

I was able to manage to get a couple of days of rest after returning to Vancouver with my new pride and joy, "Corleto" a 27 foot Catalina. The foul weather of late Feb finally broke on the last day of the weekend and I was able to get the engine running and cast off with little incident, leaving the dock at False Creek YC and finally heading to Horseshoe Bay.

A confident skipper

We headed out into English Bay, tide running against us- what else is new, with a course that would take us round Point Atkinson into Howe Sound and then a turn into Horseshoe Bay. I had a brand new sailing mate with me. She and I have been many places, but on a sailboat together was not one of them. Her sailing experience was that of a "Galley Slave" on a cruise that her and her friends took some years ago in the tranquil waters of Greece. I had been warned by her that she knew not of sheets and halyards, tacking or gybing or any other nautical skill. But what she had was a great attitude and a smile that has always made the troubles of the world just fade to insignificance. I looked forward to her learning, and joining me on this wonderful adventure.

Point Atkinson Light House in the distance.

I had her take the tiller for a brief time. I told her she needed to "feel" the boat under power from those 11 raging horses coming from Corleto's Universal Engine. It was a pleasant experience. Sun in our faces, seas that had a bit of a chop and smiles all around. This would be but a taste of what would await when sailing season finally arrives.

As we approached the entrance to the marina, I slowed the engine. I began to explain what I needed from my new crew member as we would dock. She seemed at the ready, and I remembered my docking instruction from many years ago. "Don't be the SHOW" our instructor would say.

We weren't.

I was very proud of her for just how well we came in and quietly docked Corleto to her slip. You would have thought we had done it a hundred times before. I went home that day very satisfied and pleased that Corleto was finally tied up nicely at her berth. We would see the boat again on the next weekend.

Nicely tied up in Horseshoe Bay


There was still much to do. Cleaning- inside and out, replacing dock lines that were old and chaffed, I wanted to get the sails up so I could see just how all of the rigging came together. But when I arrived I noticed something was missing. One of the fenders was gone. The rope used to hold that fender in place was still there, but the brand new white fender was gone. I had flown over the Marina just 48 hours ago. They were all there then. The piss off was this one was located at the "fattest" part of the boat and Corleto had been rubbing the dock. There was scratches on the gel coat. The area affected was about the size of my hand. I was not happy about this turn of events.
We quickly got to work on cleaning the inside and I began to replace the dock lines. All the while muttering and grousing about the "new project" of repairing the gel coat. That would have to be another day. It would be added to the list, along with troubleshooting a problem with the Otto the Tiller Pilot, replacing an electrical receptacle cover and trying to get the battery charger to work.

I had wanted to take her out and put sails to wind, but alas it was not to be on that weekend. Funny how fast time flies when your having fun. So with the main salon cleaned and the smell of vinegar fresh below ( white vinegar and water is a remarkable cleaner and its green for the environment) we left for home.

During the work week I had made a point of checking in on Corleto. I did not want to return a week later to find more damage. Each time I visited, the fenders were secure and she was sitting pretty. I managed to replace the receptacle cover and sand shinny the leads from the battery charger.

That week it rained like a son of a bitch and when we came to the marina over this past weekend we discovered that we had a drip coming from one of the chainplates. This has a simple fix I am told, but it's time consuming.
I did manage to get the sails up at the dock and see that all of the blocks were in good order. The winds were gusty, so again we passed on a day sail and instead re installed the curtains and enjoyed our lunch conversing with our dock neighbour Aaron. He and his dog had just come in when we had arrived and he told us that his crossing had been cold. He gave me some good advice about where to find info about repairs. Who knew that Catalina Direct would become my new favorite web site.

So that brings me to this freakin' list that keeps growing.

Chain plate resealing,
Charger repair,
ignition replacement,
more cleaning,
haul out,
bottom paint,
marine survey,
deck cleaning,
ships compus replacement,
gel coat repair,
windex installation,
and there's more.

F%&$! The joys of sail boat ownership,
I just want to get out there and get the sails up.






No comments:

Post a Comment